Short Programme in Office Administration
Part-Time | ICESA Non-Credit Provider Programme
The purpose of the Short Programme in Office Administration is to provide the student with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in a business environment. This short programme aims to empower the student to move up the corporate ladder.
Build your career with a qualification from ICESA
Everybody has a dream about the ideal career that they would like to get into one day. Some may dream of a career in fashion, journalism or even travel and tourism. At ICESA we understand that choosing a career is one of the most important decisions that you will ever make, and we are passionate about providing you with a sound qualification of your dreams at an affordable price. We also know that you would like the time that you spend on campus to be academically rewarding but that you also want to enjoy a rich, full social life. With this in mind we have dynamic, easy to access campuses situated around in some of KZN’s busiest, most vibrant CBD areas for your convenience.
- English at Grade 10/NQF level 2 or equivalent
- Mathematical Literacy at Grade 10/NQF level 2 or equivalent
- Minimum of 16 Years old
Expected time on the course
The programme duration is 48 Hours and the tuition is Face to Face on Saturdays from 08h00 to 12h00.
Course Content and Modules
The following outcomes will be achieved in this programme:
- Demonstrate knowledge and appreciation of the South African business environment
- Demonstrate knowledge of how the office interacts with every part of the business
- List the advantages and disadvantages of different forms of business ownership
- Discuss the role of an office administrator
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of working in and running a reception area
- Apply knowledge of receiving and assisting visitors in practical and simulated situations
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of business in society
- Describe various economic systems
- Describe the types and characteristics of different forms of business ownership
- Plan and implement a filing system in an organisation
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of computer hardware and software
- Name various categories and give examples of computer hardware and software
- Describe the features that may be found on a photocopier
- Demonstrate an understanding of how data is processed in an organisation
- Describe the principles and procedures of ordering office supplies and maintaining optimal levels of stocking these supplies
- Describe the types of and reasons for source documents used when working with office supplies
- Perform basic VAT calculations
- Identify problem areas in a mail room with regards to the handling of incoming and outgoing mail and suggest solutions
- Describe different types of diaries and the principles involved in managing a diary.
- Communicate using various forms of business correspondence in an effective manner
Study Guides and Course Material
All lists of prescribed textbooks will be provided by your nearest ICESA City Campus. Students will receive a copy of the academic study guides for this programme. All textbooks and other material are excluded from the tuition fees.
Careers that would suit you best
Students can be employed in the following career fields:
- Office Administration
- Office Management
- Business Management
Understanding your qualification
On successful completion of the programme, you will receive an ICESA Short Programme Certificate in Office Administration.